When undertaking the Roughin’ It Challenge, its important to pay attention to some guidelines that will help ensure you get the most possible from participation.
- The Roughin’ It Challenge takes place between Friday, April 16 from 6pm and ends at midnight on Friday, April 23. Participants can choose to participate at another date, please contact us to discuss
- Participants are required to set up a fundraising page via https://www.roughinitchallenge.org.au/ to collect sponsorship support for their challenge. Teams can be created as part of the signup process, or can be joined by using the ‘Find a friend’ function.
- Participants are asked to undertake the challenge for 1 day (24 hours), 3 or 5 days between the dates listed above.
- Participants are asked to follow three basic rules as part of the challenge – spend 1, 3 or 5 days with no bed, one bag and spending less than $10 a day.
- ‘No bed’ means that participants must sleep in a location of their choosing on property they own or rent – front or back yard, car or other location without a bed. For safety and legal reasons, you cannot participate in the Roughin' It Challenge in a public space.
- ‘One bag’ means that all equipment, food, bedding and other items must fit in a standard backpack or be carried. Items not packed in the bag (or carried) cannot be used. The bag must be carried with you at all times, including going to the bathroom.
- ‘$10 a day’ means that all food and consumables used during the challenge must not exceed a $10 purchase price in total per day. Participants are not permitted to pre-pack food or consumables from their homes, that is considered against the spirit of the challenge. Kitchen appliances like ovens, microwaves and kettles cannot be used to prepare your meals – only what you carry with you. Water from your home can be used.
- Other household facilities can be used, such as the bathroom, but all equipment used must be carried in your bag e.g. soap, towel, toothbrush etc.
- Participants will also be asked to undertake a number of ‘game changers’ during the event, tasks which will provide a deeper glimpse of some of the challenges of homelessness. These will be advised via the participant Welcome Pack, email and social media. SMS will also be used during the challenge itself.
- Pets are not considered participants! They should be fed and cared for as normal.